These easy, 4-ingredient king cake cookies are soft, cinnamon-y, and perfectly festive for Mardi Gras. Laissez les bon temps rouler!
This might mean I’m a bit too simplistic, but I think cookies are my favorite dessert.
I mean, yes, ice cream makes my heart sing. I always appreciate the effort and love that goes into a homemade pie, and I adore cake because it’s a vehicle for frosting.
They’re so damn versatile.
And, to a novice baker like myself, they’re more forgivable to mis-measurements, under-baking, or other screw-ups.
There are crispy and crunchy cookies. Chewy cookies (probably my favorite!), stuffed cookies, frosted cookies, sugar-dusted cookies, healthy cookies, lactation cookies, and soft, pillow-y cookies.
So, yeah, if cookies are simple and #basic, then call me a simpleton.
Anyway, these cookies may be simple in their ingredients list and baking process, but I promise you that they are not simple in flavor or flair.
The cookies and the frosting each require just FOUR ingredients (most of which are already in your kitchen!).
Perfect for Mardi Gras when you’d rather be mingling with friends and enjoying the parades!
King Cake Cookies
For the cookies:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, combine your cake mix, eggs, oil, and cinnamon. Mix (I used my KitchenAid* mixer) until a thick dough forms.
- Scoop 1 inch balls of dough onto a baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until lightly golden. If your cookies are too round (mine were), gently flatten them with a spatula before they cool.
For the frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 2 scant cups powdered sugar
- In your mixer, add the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Mix until creamy.
- Add your powdered sugar, and mix on high until fluffy.
- Once cookies are cool, spread on the frosting and top with purple, green, and gold sugar crystals or sprinkles.
These are so easy and delicious, and they taste really good straight out of the refrigerator (although you can store them simply in an airtight container on your countertop). If you need another Mardi Gras inspired treat, don’t forget these King Cake Truffles…they’re simple, too!You must try these 4-ingredient #kingcake cookies for #mardigras! They're easy + delicious! Click To Tweet
So tell me…
- What is your favorite dessert?
- Do you like soft or crispy cookies?
- Have you ever celebrated Mardi Gras?